Here are the top 5 reasons why I would hire Gordon Ramsay to edit my book:
- Gordon tells it like it is…and then some. There is no doubt in my mind that Mr. Ramsay would tear my manuscript apart. Just what good editors should do for their authors. I imagine his comments in the margin, “What the bleep were you thinking? This is an absolute embarrassment. Get your bleep back to the drawing board and give me a complete rewrite!” It would be music to my ears to hear exactly what needed to be done to get my manuscript transformed into the masterpiece it was meant to be.
- Expertise. Gordon Ramsay holds some of the highest honors in the culinary world, and as a book editor, there is no doubt he would carry himself with the same stature. He would have trained under the best editors and at the best schools in the world, have complete understanding of the Chicago Manual of Style rules, and have the skills to craft the English language better than any other editor in the business. His Michelin Stars would translate into bestselling titles and as the patrons line up at his restaurants around the world, serious authors looking to publish their best work would seek him out. He is the best because he demands it, and is professionally trained and has the real world experience which makes for the finest combination.
- Positive Reinforcement. Mr. Ramsay’s reputation is one of a loud, overbearing, pushy, know-it-all who drizzles every sentence with one profanity or another. It would appear that he is too harsh or uncaring, but it is just the opposite. It is his kindness and compassion that drive him to be so tough on his restaurateurs. He truly wants them to succeed. He points out the positives, right alongside the negatives. More fabulous qualities an author should be looking for in a book editor.
- Reputation. Who wouldn’t want to have their book edited by an editor that has a stellar reputation of transforming every dish, or book, into perfection? That is what I want, to surround myself with only the best professionals, those who will take me to the next levels and help me to continue to improve my skills. The perception of being associated with someone of his stature wouldn’t hurt my reputation either. Image is everything, or so they say.
- Fighting chance. Publishing a bestselling title is never a given, but having Gordon edit my book would give it a fighting chance. Restaurants that are on the verge of closing their doors turn to Gordon Ramsay for help. They put their livelihood in his hands and trust he will get them back on track. How fitting for any author on the threshold of publishing a book. The edit is the basis for success with any title.
Cooking and publishing have a lot of similarities. The diligence it takes to create a delicious meal or a well-written book require the same desire, skills and commitment. It could be watching Kitchen Nightmares from 2am-5am for a week straight brainwashed me, but I don’t really think so. It did get me thinking outside the box and that if Gordon Ramsay weren’t a world-renowned chef, what career might be appropriate? Book editor seems like it would suit him. His passion for food reinvigorated my own passion for publishing perfection. Gordon Ramsay, if you’re listening, just wondering if you would be interested in switching careers. Editing might be where you could really shine. Just a thought.